1895 Louis Saks building
The 1895 Louis Saks building is three-story, 18,848 square foot brick-clad commercial building on the northeast corner of 1st Avenue North and 19th Street (Block 99). It was constructed in 1895 on the former site of the Marre building and Ruby Saloon as the new home of Louis Saks Clothiers, which relocated from 1906 2nd Avenue North.
The building was heavily damaged by a fire that broke out shortly after midnight on June 22, 1910. At the time the loss was estimated at over $200,000. The adjoining Spielberger Brothers store was also damaged. After a "fire sale" the building was rebuilt and continued to serve the store until it relocated to a larger, 5-story building on the former Florence Hotel site, a block north, in 1916.
The ground floor housed Childcare Resources in the early 2000s. It was renovated by Giattina, Fisher, Aycock and Golden Construction in 2005 and became the headquarters offices of Corporate Realty Development. When CRD moved to the former Merita Bakery in 2015 the building was remodeled for Coyote Logistics, which moved its offices from Two Perimeter Park.
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- Davis, Bryan (October 24, 2014) "Chicago-based Coyote Logistics to occupy downtown Saks building." Birmingham Business Journal
- Edgemon, Erin (January 8, 2018) "Prominent downtown Birmingham building sells after six months on market." The Birmingham News