2009 UAB Blazers football
The 2009 UAB Blazers played the 19th season of football for UAB, their 14th in Division I-A, and their 11th as a member of Conference USA. The team was coached by Neil Callaway, in his third year as head coach. The 2009 season saw Callaway's Blazers improve to 5-7, just one loss from reaching bowl eligibility. His 2008 squad went 4-8, after going 2-10 in 2007.
Quarterback Joe Webb finished the season with 1,427 rushing yards, which puts him in third place in NCAA history in single season rushing yards by a quarterback. His 2,774 rushing yards for his college career, putting him at 12th on the NCAA list for career rushing yards by a quarterback. He finished his UAB career with 8,545 yards of total offense, and 65 touchdowns.
 Results (5-7)
- September 5: Defeated Rice 44-24 at Legion Field.
- September 12: Lost to SMU 35-33 at Legion Field.
- September 19: Lost to Troy 27-14 in Troy.
- September 26: Lost 56-19 to Texas A&M in College Station, Texas.
- October 1: Defeated Southern Mississippi 30-17 at Legion Field.
- October 17: Lost 48-13 to Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi.
- October 24: Lost 27-7 to Marshall in Huntington, West Virginia.
- October 31: Defeated UTEP 38-33 in El Paso, Texas. Senior quarterback Joe Webb threw for 2 and caught one for a total of 3 Blazer touchdowns.
- November 7: Defeated Florida Atlantic 56-29 at Legion Field.
- November 14: Defeated Memphis 31-21 in Memphis, Tennessee (Battle for the Bones).
- November 21: Lost to East Carolina 37-21 in Greenville, North Carolina.
- November 28: Lost to Central Florida 34-27 at Legion Field.
|UAB Blazers football|
- Irvine, Steve (October 31, 2009) "Joe Webb leads Blazers past UTEP." Birmingham News
- Irvine, Steve, (November 29, 2009) "One more look at UAB's 34-27 loss to UCF." Birmingham News