Alabama Power Company Headquarters Complex
The Alabama Power Company Headquarters Complex is an 18-story, 900,000 square-foot office tower and 17,000 square-foot glass atrium at 616-630 18th Street North (Block 36). It connects to the 1925 Alabama Power building and serves as the combined headquarters offices of the Alabama Power Company.
The project was initiated in the early 1980s and broke ground before 1984. The company expected to save more than $500,000 a year in transportation and communication expenses by consolidating office space. The $74 million project included restoration of the company's historic office tower. The building was designed by Geddes Brecher Qualls & Cunningham of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; with Gresham, Smith & Partners as the associated firm. It was built by Doster Construction. Work was completed in 1990.
- "Headquarters job aids city economy." (March 1984) Magic City News