Art on the Rocks
- This article is about the event series at the Birmingham Museum of Art. An earlier "Art on the Rocks" was an exhibition on the "rocks" of Noccolula Falls Park in Gadsden.
Art on the Rocks is a large-scale social event held one Friday evening each month between May and October at the Birmingham Museum of Art. The program was launched by museum membership development director Kimberly King in April 2005 to unhoped-for success, attracting 1,500 people to the first event and growing by about 20 percent per month throughout the first season.
Art on the Rocks features food catered by Kathy G. & Company, a cash bar, gallery scavenger hunts and art activities, and live music by national touring acts. Beginning in 2006 advance tickets are required for admission, available at a discount to museum members.
- June 12: featuring Reptar and Breathers
- July 10: featuring Shadowboxers
- August 14: featuring Clear Plastic Masks
- May 16: "Kathryn Tucker Windham: My Land, My People" theme, featuring The Dynamites.
- June 20: "Vanishing Worlds: Art & Ritual in Amazonia" theme, featuring Chuck Prophet.
- July 18: "Outdoor Sculpture by Charlie Lucas" theme, featuring Lori McKenna.
- August 15: "Leonardo da Vinci: Drawings form the Biblioteca Reale in Turin" theme, featuring Stoll Vaughan.
- June 22: "77 Dances" theme, featuring Mindy Smith.
- July 20: "American" theme, featuring Indigenous.
- August 24: "Vulcanalia" theme, featuring Patterson Hood.
- September 14: "Pompeii" theme, featuring Kim Richey.
- May 12: "France" theme, featuring Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk (introduced by Taylor Hicks)
- June 23: "Africa" theme, featuring singer Tift Merritt
- July 21: "America" theme, featuring rock band Aqualung
- August 18: "China" theme, featuring singer Toby Lightman
- September 15: "Japan" theme, featuring rock band The Damnwells
- October 20: "Germany" theme, featuring guitarist Alejandro Escovedo
- April 8: "Saints and Scandals" theme, featuring singer Holly Williams
- May 13: "Shaken with Myths" theme, featuring singer Griffin House
- June 10: "The Art of the Vibe" theme, featuring singer Lori McKenna
- July 15: featuring rock band Augustana
- August 12: featuring DJ Logic
- September 16: featuring singer Todd Snider
- Dugan, Kelli M. (November 4, 2005) "Art on the Rocks nets new crowd." Birmingham Business Journal.
- "Hot Rocks" (June 18, 2006) Urban Living 2006 special advertising section. Black & White.
- Art on the Rocks at artsbma.org