Bank of Alabama (Ensley)

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Bank of Alabama was a bank with offices on the corner of Avenue E and 18th Street in Ensley. The bank was incorporated on August 14, 1906 with Robert Terrell as president.

The one-story brick bank building, erected about 1925, features a deeply recessed entryway surmounted by a an eagle statue under a brick arch. The Bank of Alabama failed in 1930 and sold its assets to the Ensley National Bank in December of that year. The bank continued to operated for two more years before it was liquidated under the control of the First National Bank of Birmingham.

The building was later used as a meeting hall for the Olive Branch Lodge and as shops.

References

  • Ensley Bank & Trust Co. v. United States (April 17, 1945) United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
  • Satterfield, Carolyn Green (1976) Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama. Birmingham: Jefferson County Historical Commission/Gray Printing Company
  • Prince, A. G. (1982) Landmarks of Ensley: Past and Present. revised edition. Ensley: Best Printing Service