Bankhead Lake is a narrow reservoir on the upper Black Warrior River formed in 1915 by Alabama Power's Bankhead Lock and Dam, located in the northeast corner of Tuscaloosa County. The dam, and the lake, are named after U.S. Senator John H. Bankhead.
Bankhead Lake is the largest impoundment on the Black Warrior, extending 65 miles and covering 9,200 acres. The lake forms the border between Jefferson and Tuscaloosa counties, as well as the border dividing Jefferson and Walker counties. It serves as the headwaters of the Black Warrior, covering what was once the confluence of the Locust and Mulberry forks, and extending to the Sipsey Fork.
| Black Warrior River|