Berney National Bank
The Berney National Bank of Birmingham was founded as the Central Bank of Birmingham on March 26, 1885 by William Berney, the second president of the National Bank of Birmingham and a protege of Charles Linn. Other initial investors included Robert Jemison Sr, L. D. Aylett, Joseph McLester, and Truman H. Aldrich. The initial capital was $50,000.
An ornate building was constructed for the bank on half of a lot owned by Berney at 1923 1st Avenue North. It was the first building erected on the block. The other half-lot was sold, and with its appreciation in value, more than paid for Berney's original property investment.
Central Bank was reorganized nine months after its founding as the Berney National Bank of Birmingham with $800,000 in capital stock. A separate Berney Bank of Bessemer was opened by William and his brother Chollet in 1887. In 1902, the Berney National Bank merged with First National Bank.
The bank's vice president was Henry Badham, Sr. W. P. G. Harding served as assistant cashier from 1886 to 1894, when he was promoted to cashier. Two years later he would join the First National Bank of Birmingham as a vice president. Berney National Bank was absorbed by First National in 1901.
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1981) The Birmingham District: An Industrial History and Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society ISBN 9990230099
- Kilpatrick, Andrew (1996) A Legacy of Leadership: A History of AmSouth Bank. Birmingham. AmSouth Bank.
- Blake, Thomas Harry (1972) Birmingham Since 1885. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- Satterfield, Carolyn Green (1976) "Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama" Jefferson County Historical Commission