Birmingham City Commission

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Birmingham City Commission (or Birmingham Board of Commissioners) was the form of Birmingham's government from 1911 to 1963. The city moved from a Mayor-Aldermen system to a three-member commission at the time that Greater Birmingham was annexed into the City. The idea was that the municipal government should be run less like a small town and more like a business enterprise. The proposal was overwhelmingly favored by voters in a 1910 referendum, and was initiated by a new City Commission election in 1911

Presidents of the Commission, beginning with Culpepper Exum, who inherited the role as the sitting Mayor, are listed at Mayor of Birmingham. LIke previous administrations, the commissions were initially elected to a two-year term. Beginning in 1917 the term was extended to four years to provide for more continuity. Between 1915 and 1923 the board was expanded to five commissioners.

This listing includes the full commission for the years 1911 to 1963, when residents voted to adopt the Mayor-Council Act of 1955 as Birmingham's form of government, providing for a Mayor and nine-member City Council to be elected at-large.

Commissions

1911-1913

1913-1915

1915-1917

Associate commissioners added, increasing size of board to five

1917-1921

Term extended to four years (November 6, 1917November 7, 1921)

1921-1925

Served November 7, 1921–1925. Associate commissioners dismissed after law passed on August 15, 1923.

1925-1929

1929-1933

1933-1937

1937-1941

1941-1945

1945-1949


1949-1953

1953-1957

1957-1961

1961-1963

References

  • Vick, Mary-Helen (1965) A Survey of the Governing Body of Birmingham, Alabama, 1910-1964. Master's thesis. Alabama College
  • Norton, Bertha Bendall (1970) Birmingham's First Magic Century: Were You There?. Birmingham: self-published/Lakeshore Press


Preceded by:
Birmingham Board of Aldermen
Legislative Body for the City of Birmingham
1911 - 1963
Succeeded by:
Birmingham City Council