Birmingham Historical Society

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo used by the Birmingham Historical Society from 1983 to 1998

The Birmingham Historical Society (established in 1942) is a non-profit group committed to the preservation of and education about Birmingham's history. The organization is headquartered at Sloss Quarters, part of the Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark. The current executive director is Marjorie Longenecker White.

Between 1948 and 1960 the Birmingham Historical Society erected historical markers at various sites around the city, including Walker Memorial Church in Elyton, the site of the O'Brien Opera House, Linn's Folly and the Relay House hotel in downtown Birmingham, the site of the former B. P. Worthington plantation in Lakeview, and the site of the Tuberculosis Sanitorium at present-day English Village in Mountain Brook.

The Historical Society sponsors the publication of original research and the reprinting of primary sources relating to Birmingham's history. From 1977 to 1987 it published the Journal of the Birmingham Historical Society at irregular intervals. It has also published educational materials for classroom use and to guide tours of the city's historic districts.

Since the 1980s, the Birmingham Historical Society has presented "Preservation Awards" to recognize significant preservation and adaptive re-use projects in the city.

External links