Birmingham Parking Authority
The Birmingham Parking Authority, created by Act 2079 of the Alabama legislature in October 1971, oversees the construction and operation of off-street public parking lots and decks for the City of Birmingham. The Authority is governed by a three-member board of directors, appointed by the Birmingham City Council. As a functioning "special district government" under Alabama law, the Authority can borrow money, issue revenue bonds, acquire property and impose service fees. The authority currently operates 9,718 parking spaces in the city.
The Birmingham Parking Authority, previously classified as a "special district", was reclassified as a "dependent agency " for the 2002 Census of Governments.
The chairman of the board of directors is Larry Ward. The executive director is Lynn Thomas. The authority currently employs 96 full and part-time personnel to operate 9 parking decks and 3 surface lots.
Parking decks and lots
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 2 (June 1976) - 801 19th Street North, 1472 Spaces - 9 Levels. $70/month
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 3 (February 1976) - 401 20th Street North, 1371 Spaces - 9 Levels. $100-110/month
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 4 (June 1984) - 2128 4th Avenue North, 673 Spaces - 8 Levels. $95/month
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 5 (May 1983) - 2012 5th Avenue North, 408 Spaces - 8 Levels. $100-110/month
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 6 (June 1987) - 2010 2nd Avenue North, 638 Spaces - 10 Levels'. $100-110/month
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 7 (June 1987) - 509 17th Street North, 1607 Spaces - 9 Levels. $85/month
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 8 (October 1991) - 2021 3rd Avenue South, 1114 Spaces - 11 Levels. $80/month
- Birmingham Parking Authority Lot A (December 1975) - 2299 Morris Avenue, A-1 126 Spaces/A-2 597 Spaces. $52-60/month
- Cooper Green Deck (1974) - 1515 6th Avenue South, 915 Spaces
- Five Points South Deck (April 1986) - 2012 Magnolia Avenue, 237 Spaces - 5 Levels - privately owned. $55/month
- Avondale Village (July 2015), 133 41st Street South, 160 spaces
- Birmingham Parking Authority Lot B (2003-2008) - 5th Avenue North at Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard North, 104 Spaces. Demolished for the expansion of Deck 3.
- Birmingham Parking Authority Lot D (September 1975) - 1801 Powell Avenue, 218 Spaces. Sold to Alabama Power Company in late 2012 as part of the proposed redevelopment of the Powell Avenue Steam Plant.
- Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 9 (June 1994) - 1912 5th Avenue South, 840 Spaces - 8 Levels. Now owned and operated by UAB as Deck #5.
- "Individual State Descriptions: 2002" 2002 Census of Governments Volume 1, Number 2, Individual State Descriptions
- Bryant, Joseph D. (December 20, 2006) "Local man complains to state ethics group on city's refinance deal." Birmingham News
- Bryant, Joseph D. (June 11, 2007) "Parking Authority to raise rates for deck, lot lease holders." Birmingham News
- Bryant, Joseph D. (April 3, 2008) "City replacing parking deck security cameras with digital versions." Birmingham News