Brighton Fire Station
The Brighton Fire Station No. 1 is a two-bay fire station completed in 2010 for the city of Brighton's volunteer fire department at 1216 Woodward Avenue between Main Street and Huntsville Avenue. Construction was funded by Jefferson County through Community Development Block Grants. The city financed the furnishings.
The department, which formerly shared a garage with the Brighton Police Department, had been lobbying for a new station for years. The Jefferson County Commission began making plans for a $400,000 station in 2006, but canceled the stalled process in late 2007. Eventually a $700,000 station was built, dedicated on June 26, 2010.
The station houses a fire engine which the Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service donated to Brighton in April 2010.
- Stewart, Sherrel (October 9, 2007) "Jeffco Commission to try again on Lipscomb, Brighton fire station projects." Birmingham News
- McClanahan, Mike (June 26, 2010) "New Fire Station Boosts Morale and Response Time." CBS 42.
- Herrera, Katie (June 26, 2010) "New fire station in Brighton." FOX6