Brookwood Office Center
The Brookwood Office Center (formerly the Colonial Center) is a 169,489 square-foot, 9-story office tower located immediately to the west of Brookwood Village. It was completed in late 2007 for Colonial Properties Trust at a cost of $35.8 million.
The building features 10,000 square feet of ground floor specialty retail, marketed towards service-industry tenants as well as a four-story parking deck in the rear of the building. Other features include built-in wireless internet, a covered walkway connecting the building to Parisian, and redundant power feeds from two separate substations to reduce the likelihood of outages. The architect was Joe Trammell of Rule Joy Trammell + Rubio of Atlanta and the contractor was Brasfield & Gorrie.
In January 2009 the project earned silver certification from the U. S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program.
The building, along with the entire retail complex, was sold to Cypress Equities of Dallas, Texas in 2014. The office building itself was sold in 2016 to Preferred Apartment Communities of Atlanta, Georgia for $49.8 million. In November 2021 they sold it to a partnership of Fairway Investments and Pope & Land Enterprises of Atlanta for $55 million.
- Colonial Properties Trust, 2007-2014
- Johnston Barton Proctor & Powell, 2007-2014
- Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
- Kinder Morgan, energy infrastructure
- PricewaterhouseCoopers accountants
- Shopping Center Group
- Sonat relocated its 250 employees from the Regions Center.
- Surgical Care Affiliates, 2014-
- Joseph A. Banks clothier
- O'Henry's Coffees, opened 2009
- Goodman, Sherri C. (April 21, 2006) "New building's design lures downtown law firm: 9-story tower set for Homewood." The Birmingham News
- Wilkinson, Kaija. (April 21, 2006) "$36M Colonial office tower at Brookwood." Birmingham Business Journal
- Goodman, Sherri C. (January 27, 2007) "Sonat leaving downtown base." The Birmingham News
- Cooper, Lauren B. (January 26, 2009) "Brasfield & Gorrie earns LEED for Brookwood office complex." Birmingham Business Journal
- Godwin, Brent (September 29, 2016) "Investor paid $49M for Brookwood office building." Birmingham Business Journal
- Coker, Angel (November 16, 2021) "Another portion of Brookwood Village sells in $55M deal." Birmingham Business Journal