Buffalo Rock bottling plant

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Buffalo Rock bottling plant is a the headquarters offices and bottling and distribution facility for the Buffalo Rock Company. It is located at 111 Oxmoor Road in Homewood. The current campus includes seven buildings on 50 acres.

The initial 75,000 square foot facility was constructed for $1 million on a 15-acre site in 1965-1966, and opened on October 29. The building was designed by Edgar Mims and constructed by the Brice Building Company with all-new up-to-date equipment, doubling the capacity of the former plant on 24th Street North in downtown Birmingham.

Birmingham mayor Albert Boutwell and City Council president M. E. Wiggins joined Jefferson County Commission president Cooper Green and Homewood mayor E. G. Walker at the groundbreaking ceremony in July 1945. 7-year-old Donaldson Lee was given the honor of turning over the first shovel of dirt.