Calloway Elementary School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Calloway Elementary School
Active 19582011
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades K-5
Colors
Mascot
Location 3417 34th Terrace North, (map)
Birmingham

William H. Calloway Elementary School was an elementary school in the Birmingham City Schools system located at 3417 34th Terrace North at the intersection of F. L. Shuttlesworth Drive (formerly Huntsville Road) in the Collegeville neighborhood.

The school was built in 1958 by the Wilborn Construction Company at a cost of $129,768. It had six classrooms, a lunch room and and office. It originally served African American students, and was named for William Calloway.

The school had an enrollment of 415 in 1981, which had dropped to 350 by 1989.

After the school closed, it was converted into a JCCEO Head Start Center, which closed in 2016. The building is currently unused.