Camp Gertrude Coleman was one of the nation's oldest Girl Scout Camps, located along Camp Coleman Road to the northeast of downtown Trussville on the banks of the Cahaba River. Established in 1925 by the Cahaba Girl Scout Council, the camp contains 144 acres and features a wide array of activities and facilities. The camp is operated by the Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama. It was named for Gertrude Coleman. The camp closed on May 31, 2013.
In May 2012, the Girl Scout Council announced that the camp would be closed and divested in May 2013 after taking a more than $200,000 loss in 2011 and about $330,000 in 2010, not including repairs that were made or need to be made to the camp. An increased marketing campaign in 2011 was not successful. A grass-roots group named Save Camp Coleman was formed to raise funds and help keep the camp open.
- Lloyd, Gary (May 14, 2012) "Trussville's Camp Coleman to close in 2013." Trussville Tribune
- Lloyd, Gary (June 8, 2012) "Save Camp Coleman plans to keep camp open." Trussville Tribune
- Webb, Katherine (April 3, 2013) "For the girls? Members of the Girl Scouts mistrust the Council's decision to close Camp Coleman." Weld for Birmingham
 External links
- Camp Coleman at the Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama