The original location was opened at 1017 20th Street South in Five Points South's Pickwick Plaza in October 2009 by Richard Bishop and his daughter, Chelsea. The menu featured a long list of signature tacos made with fresh ingredients. The yellow tiled walls of the former Subway sandwich shop were adorned with paintings on velvet.
In 2010, Bishop sold the business to Adnan Abu-Sharif. Abu-Sharif then opened a second location at Edgewood Town Center in mid-2011 and closed the original location in Five Points that November. In August 2013, Abu-Sharif closed the Edgewood Town Center location as well.
- Bordonaro, Cory (February 25, 2010) "Vamos al Camp Taco!" Birmingham Weekly.
- Swagler, Susan (March 5, 2010) "Camp Taco's kitschy decor doesn't take away from fine-tasting food." The Birmingham News.
- Natta, André (June 21, 2011) "Camp Taco empire expands" The Terminal.
- Poe, Ryan. (November 22, 2011). "Camp Taco closes in Southside." Birmingham Business Journal.
- Poe, Ryan. (August 22, 2013). "Camp Taco closes last location in Homewood." Birmingham Business Journal.