Carey earned her master of science in journalism from Columbia University. She began making films in 1990 and has produced and/or directed several films and promotional spots for national broadcast. Many have aired on Alabama Public Television and have garnered regional Emmy awards and other accolades.
- Sisters of Selma: Bearing Witness for Change (executive producer)
- Mr Dial Has Something to Say (director, producer)
- Thornton Dial (director, producer)
- Alabama Ballet: The Making of Romeo and Juliet (director, producer)
- The Quiltmakers of Gee's Bend (director, producer)
- Justice Without Violence: The Montgomery Bus Boycott (executive producer)
- Tiger Mountain Vineyards promotional spot
- DeButts, Jimmy (May 15, 2008) "Birmingham filmmaker earns five Emmy nods." Birmingham Business Journal
- Allbritton, Christopher (December 13, 2002) "Leaving Metropolis: How to move on from the big city to smaller and better things. MediaBistro.com, accessed May 15, 2008.
- Glass World Films website