Claridge Manor Apartments
The Claridge Manor Apartments is a 115-foot tall, 10-story brick apartment building built in 1924 on the southwest corner of 11th Avenue South and 27th Street South (formerly Madison Avenue and Cleveland Street) near Hanover Circle.
The project was developed by George B. Allen of Atlanta, Georgia and John D. Turner of Birmingham. Its Colonial Revival design, based on Atlanta's Pershing Point Apartments, was created by Atlanta architect W. H. Butterfield. The building was constructed for $750,000 by Gude & Company of Atlanta.
The luxury building included a formal communal dining room and basement servants quarters for the building's shared maid and valet service. Space was provided in the design for 60 automobiles. The lobby has a checkerboard marble floor. Apartments featured interior French doors with brass hardware. Eugene Lee was the first manager of the building.
Along with the Highland Plaza Apartments and Ridgely Apartments, Claridge Manor was one of the "Apartment Hotels in Birmingham, Alabama 1900-1930" listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1984.
- King, Pamela Sterne & Ellen Mertins (June 13, 1983) "Apartment Hotels in Birmingham, Alabama 1900-1930". National Register of Historic Places, Inventory Nomination Form - listed April 18, 1984
- "Construction Begun on $750,000 Apartment Building at Birmingham" (September 27, 1923) Manufacturers Record. Vol. 84, No. 13, p. 70
- Claridge Manor Apartments on Emporis.com