Columbiana Road is a multi-lane road and major north-south route continuing Green Springs Highway from the north through southern Homewood and Vestavia Hills and connecting Lakeshore Drive to Montgomery Highway (Vestvia Hills) (U.S. Highway 31) by crossing Shades Mountain. For non-local traffic, Columbiana Road has been supplanted by Interstate 65, which runs to the west of it. Additional portions of Columbiana exist north of Lakeshore, but have been supplanted by Green Springs.
There has been a road roughly following the current path of Columbiana Road since the late 19th century. In the 1930s and '40s, the road acted as the western limit of Homewood. The original road north of Lakeshore was partially rerouted and improved to a divided highway named Green Springs Highway by 1945. The portion retaining the Columbiana name still exists between Valley Avenue and Broadway Street, but is no longer a major route.
The portion of Columbiana Road between Lakeshore and South Lakeshore Drives was built after Edgewood Lake drained for the final time in the early 1940s. The road originally curved around the west end of the lake. This part remains as Old Green Springs Road.
- For an alphabetical list of locations, see the Columbiana Road category.
- Road splits southeast from Green Springs Highway
- Oxmoor Road/Palisades Boulevard intersection
- Carr Avenue intersection
- Raleigh Avenue intersection (road dead ends to south)
- Road splits southwest from Green Springs Highway
- Road ends
- Lakeshore Drive intersection (road continues north as Green Springs Highway)
- Bridge over Shades Creek
- Old Green Springs Road/South Lakeshore Drive intersection
- Berry Road/Woodbine Drive intersection
- Shades Crest Road intersection (east only)
- Shades Crest Road/Vestaview Lane intersection
- 2017: Shades Mountain Baptist Church
- 2067: Designmark Builders (former location of Vintage Homes)
- 2086: Vestavia YMCA
- 2100-2130: Columbiana Crossing Shopping Center
- 2122: Redeemer Orthodox Presbyterian
- 2135: Extra Space Storage
- 2345: Horizon Church
- 2435: Chateau Vestavia
- 2575: Fullness Christian Fellowship, former location of Vestavia Church of God (1969-1981), Metropolitan Church of God (1981-1999)
- 2826: Berry High School
- 2901: Saint Mark United Methodist Church
- 2931: Makarios Kabob & Grill (2015-), former location of Pitt Grill (-1970s), Lovoy's Italian Restaurant, Double "LL" Bar-B-Q (-1983), Ranch House Bar-B-Q (1983-), Ranch House Family Restaurant (-2015)
- Tyler Road/Massey Road intersection
- Montgomery Highway (Vestavia Hills) intersection (road ends)