Cowart Drug Company Building
The Cowart Drug Company Building is a 2-story brick commercial building located at 8320 U. S. Highway 31 in Calera's Downtown Historic District. It was erected around 1885 and first housed the Bondurant and Burke Drug Store with a boarding house upstairs. The Calera Lodge No. 445 began meeting on the second floor in 1913. The Cowart Drug Company has been located on the first floor since 1920. The building has also been used as a bus station.
In 2007 the lodge considered selling the building to the CVS Corporation, which would demolish it. Instead, they decided to sell it to Theresa Harris, current owner of Cowart Drug Company. She plans to preserve and eventually restore the building, which is one of the contributing structures in Calera's historic downtown.
- Drexel, Keysha (June 27, 2007) "History trumps commerce; 120-year-old building saved." Birmingham News.