Platt graduated from the University of Georgia with a bachehor of arts in journalism and went on to complete a master's in divinity, a master's in theology, and a Ph.D. at the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, serving as Dean of Chapel and Assistant Professor or Expository Preaching and Apologetics. He also was pastor of Edgewater Baptist Church.
In 2005 Platt moved to Birmingham to accept the pulpit at The Church at Brook Hills. While there he organized a series of intensive 6-hour Bible study and discipleship classes dubbed "Secret Church".
Platt was appointed president of the International Mission Board on August 27, 2014. He founded his own ministry, called "Radical", which continues to publicize his books, organize missionary training and conduct missions trips.
Platt and his wife Heather have four children: Caleb, Joshua, Mara Ruth, and Isaiah.
- Platt, David (2010) Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream. Multnomah Books. ISBN 9781601422217
- Platt, David (2011) Radical Together: Unleashing the People of God for the Purpose of God.
- Platt, David (2012) Follow Me: A Call to Die. A Call to Live.
- Platt, David (2015) Counter Culture: A Compassionate Call to Counter Culture in a World of Poverty, Same-Sex Marriage, Racism, Sex Slavery, Immigration, Abortion, Persecution, Orphans and Pornography. Tyndale House Publishers ISBN 1414373295
- Garrison, Greg (February 20, 2013) "Church at Brook Hills Pastor David Platt's new book debuts at No. 6 on NYT bestseller list." The Birmingham News