Birmingham Steam Bottling Works

From Bhamwiki
(Redirected from Davis & Worcester)
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the bottler operating in the 1880s, for the Birmingham Bottling Works operating after 1911, see National Dope Company.

The Birmingham Steam Bottling Works, also called the Birmingham Bottling Works, or Davis & Worcester, was a bottler active in the 1880s and owned by James Davis and Samuel Worcester.

According to one source, the firm was founded in 1875, but another source indicates that the company was the successor in 1884 to Davis & Herbert which had been established earlier the same year by Davis and John Herbert as the city's first bottler of mineral water.

In 1886 the firm relocated from Avenue G and 18th Street to a 32x40-foot frame building at the corner of Avenue C and 22nd Street South

In 1888 Davis & Worcester's bottling works had been expanded to 40 feet by 140 feet. The plant handled mineral waters, ginger ale, sodas, carbonated drinks, sarsaparillas, ciders and vinegars. They sold Worcester Ginger Ale under their own label.

The partnership dissolved some time before 1903, at which time Worcester had entered into a new business with P. L. Houppert.

References