|District||Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||1716 31st Avenue North, (map)|
The two-story brick school opened on October 20, 1920 with six classrooms and an auditorium. In 1923 it was serving 299 students in first through seventh grades. At that time the schoolhouse was described as "safe, well-lighted and ventilated" with "ample playground space."
On November 1, 1946 the school was renamed in honor of John Eagan (1870-1924), the founder of the American Cast Iron Pipe Company who was remembered for his extraordinary efforts on behalf of employees and their families.
- Birmingham Board of Education (1923) The Birmingham School Survey.
- Jackson, Harold (November 1993) "Wee Care Academy: the challenges and triumphs of launching Birmingham's first Afrocentric day-care centers - Alabama business started by Gaynell and Elias Hendricks in 1988." Black Enterprise