Elyton Herald

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Elyton Herald was a weekly newspaper established in 1853 by John Cantley, who purchased the Washington hand press and type used for the former Central Alabamian from Moses Lancaster.

Cantley sold the paper to Henry Hale, who continued to publish, with some interruptions, until moving the paper to the newly-established city of Birmingham in 1871 as the Birmingham Herald.

Hale sold it to Mayor Robert Henley that year and Henley changed its name to the Birmingham Sun.

References