Cathedral Church of the Advent
The Cathedral Church of the Advent, located on the southeast corner of 6th Avenue North and 20th Street in downtown Birmingham is the mother church of the Episcopal parishes in the Birmingham area. "The Advent" (as the cathedral is referred to by local Episcopalians) was established as a parish church in 1872, a few months after the founding of the city, and was one of the first churches to be built downtown. The first building on this site was completed on March 5, 1873, but was soon after destroyed by fire. The present structure, designed in a modified Romanesque style by Wheelock, Joy, and Wheelock, was occupied in 1893, with completion of the tower and portico in 1895.
In 1982 the Church of the Advent became a cathedral, when the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama declared it as its seat; previously, the diocese had no cathedral, although the diocesan headquarters had been located next door to the church for many years. Today, nearly 4,000 members comprise the Church of the Advent, making it one of the ten largest Episcopal parishes in the United States.
The Cathedral is known for its historical building and courtyard garden, as well as for the reputation of its music program. In 2005, the Cathedral Choir was named "Best Church Choir" by readers of the Birmingham News.
A major project to preserve the sandstone exterior of the Cathedral was undertaken between 1999 and 2005. During this same period the Rector's Garden was redesigned to improve drainage and accommodate a columbarium, and the belltower was refitted for a carillon of fifteen bells, cast by Fonderie Paccard of Lac d'Annecy, France.
The current Dean of the Cathedral is Andrew Pearson.
- Thomas Beard, 1882-1896
- John Murray, 1896-1903
- Middleton Barnwell, 1913-1923
- Charles Clingman
- Charles Carpenter
- John Turner, -1965
- Hugh Agricola, 1965-1974
- Brinkley Morton, 1974-1982
- Larry Gipson, 1982-1994
- Paul Zahl, 1994-2004
- Frank Limehouse, 2004-2013
- Andrew Pearson, 2013-present
- Rogers, Rebecca Pegues (1973) The Strength of Her Towers. Birmingham: Episcopal Church of the Advent
- Rogers, Rebecca Pegues (1990) How Firm a Foundation. Statesboro, Georgia: Southern University Press
- Cathedral Church of the Advent website