Express Oil Change
Express Oil Change is a chain of southeastern car maintenance shops, both franchised and company-owned. Its corporate headquarters is located at 1880 Southpark Drive, just off the intersection of Valleydale Road and U.S. Highway 31, in Hoover. Although they provide a variety of services, including transmission service, tire rotation, brake inspection, and regularly scheduled maintenance, as their name indicates, the business specializes in fast oil changes. The first store opened in 1979 in Birmingham. As of 2010, the company has 172 locations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.
In the late 1970s, Jim Lunceford, already deeply involved in the automobile service industry, heard of a business on the west coast that offered quick oil changes to consumers. He decided to perfect the concept, opening the first Express Oil Change in Birmingham in 1979. By 1984 there were four company-owned locations and the first franchise opened. In 1991, Express Oil Changed moved their headquarters to 190 West Valley Avenue in Homewood.
In 1987, investor Ricky Brooks was approached by someone wishing to borrow money to open three Express Oil Change franchises. Brooks new nothing about the industry at the time, but was intrigued after researching it. Brooks' client ultimately decided against borrowing the money, so Brooks partnered with Joe Watson to open their own franchises.
By 1995, Brooks and Watson were the largest franchisers, owning 14 centers. Lunceford, now in his 70s and ready to retire, asked the two if they would be interested in buying the business. They agreed, with Brooks selling his investment firm and the deal closing in 1996. At the time, there were approximately 48 stores in the chain, 11 of which were company owned.
In 2005, Carousel Capital, a private investment firm based in Charlotte, North Carolina, purchased the majority stake in Express Oil Change, which had grown to 149 locations. Brooks and Watson were retained as CEO and COO, respectively.
In late 2006, Express Oil Change announced plans to move its corporate headquarters to their current location in Hoover. The new location, designed by the Garrison Barrett Group, took an existing 5,500-square-foot building, renovated it and added a 6,000-square-foot addition. Originally expected to open in May 2007, Maxus Construction Company announced completion of the job in March 2008. In addition, Express Oil Change added a new training facility to the nearby Cahaba Valley Road location, which is used to train both employees and franchisees.
 Birmingham District locations
- 3rd Avenue West, shop #40, 737 3rd Avenue West, Birmingham
- Bessemer, shop #1, 922 9th Avenue
- Cahaba Heights, shop #129, 3940 Crosshaven Drive, Vestavia Hills
- Center Point, shop #28, 2013 Center Point Parkway
- Downtown, shop #34, 2008 2nd Avenue South, Birmingham (closed 2008)
- East Lake, shop #27, 8400 1st Avenue North, Birmingham
- Eastwood, shop #3, 5101 Oporto-Madrid Boulevard, Birmingham
- Fairfield, shop #134, 7157 Aaron Aronov Drive
- Forestdale, shop #111, 901 Forestdale Boulevard
- Gardendale, shop #12, 316 Fieldstown Road
- Highway 150, shop #124, 2325 John Hawkins Parkway, Hoover
- Homewood, shop #29, 196 West Valley Avenue
- Homewood, shop #26, 1717 27th Court South
- Hoover, shop #32, 1554 Montgomery Highway
- Huffman, shop #35, 1123 Huffman Road
- Inverness, shop #119, 502 Cahaba Park Circle, Vestavia Hills
- Mountain Brook, shop #38, 407 Hollywood Boulevard
- Pinson, shop #24, 4665 Center Point Road
- Riverchase, shop #30, 3635 Lorna Road, Hoover
- Rocky Ridge, shop #33, 2556 Rocky Ridge Road, Vestavia Hills
- Tarrant, shop #2, 1412 Pinson Valley Parkway
- Trussville, shop #123, 5975 Chalkville Mountain Road
- Trussville, shop #128, 425 Main Street
- Vestavia Hills, shop #25, 1479 Montgomery Highway
- University Boulevard
- Alabaster, shop #11, 136 1st Street North
- Brook Highland, shop #125, 5315 U.S. Highway 280, Birmingham
- Chelsea, shop #133, 16971 U.S. Highway 280
- Helena, shop #132, 5046 Shelby County Road 17
- Oak Mountain, shop #127, 461 Cahaba Valley Road, Pelham
- Pelham, shop #122, 2874 Pelham Parkway
- Valleydale, shop #120, 2644 Valleydale Road, Birmingham
- Tuscaloosa, shop #103, 604 East 15th Street
- Tuscaloosa, shop #109, 238 Rice Mine Road Northeast
- Tuscaloosa, shop #110, 6322 Alabama State Highway 69 South
- "Our Company's History." (n.d.) Express Oil Change. Accessed March 17, 2008 from Franchises.
- "ASO, The Auto Services Operator Magazine, recognizes the Dynamic Duo of Joe Watson and Ricky Brooks of Express Oil Change." (January 16, 2004). Auto Services Operator Magazine. Accessed March 17, 2008 from Press Releases.
- "Express Oil Change: A Fan Favorite." (September 1, 2004). National Oil & Lube News. Accessed March 17, 2008 from Press Releases.
- "Carousel Capital takes stake in Express Oil" . (April 11, 2005). Charlotte Business Journal.
- "Express Oil Change Moving Headquarters to Hoover, AL." (November 22, 2006). Express Oil Change. Accessed March 17, 2008 from Press Releases.
- Cooper, Lauren B. "Maxus completes Express Oil Change HQ" . (March 14, 2008). '"Birmingham Business Journal.
 External links
- Express Oil Change web site