Birmingham Fire Station No. 12
- Engine 12
- Rescue 12
- Decon 12
- Battalion 3
Former Station No. 12
The former Station No. 12 was built in 1929 in Woodlawn at 1st Avenue North and 57th Street North. Designed by Turner & Slater Architects in a residentially-scaled Tudor Revival style, the station was pulled back from the street to create a park space across from Woodlawn High School. Schoolchildren were welcomed to the grassy lawn, and public restrooms for "girls and boys" were included in the station's floor plans. The two-bay garage, tucked under parallel gables with arched openings and fanlights, opened onto an alleyway. Unsightly functions such as hose-drying, barbecuing and coal deliveries were concealed in a rear service courtyard. The second floor dormitories were accessed by a winding stair in the building's prominent corner turret, and egressed in emergencies via a polished steel fireman's pole.
In the 1980s, the Engine Company moved to its new station in East Lake. The vacant building was purchased by Jefferson County Health Services, which already operated an adjoining Eastern Health Center. It was used for storage, but generally suffered from neglect. As windows were broken, they were boarded up. In 1990 the former station was added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of a group of Birmingham's Historic Fire Stations.
- "A Two-Truck Fire Station" (April 1930) American Architect
- King, Pamela Sterne (May 22, 1990) "Historic Fire Stations of the City of Birmingham, Alabama: 1906-1929". National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form.
- Birmingham Fire Station No. 12 at Birmingham Retired Firefighters of Local 117 website