First National Bank of Birmingham Bessemer brach
The First National Bank of Birmingham Bessemer brach is a branch office of AmSouth Bank, which opened in May 1956 as a branch of the First National Bank of Birmingham shortly after it acquired the First National Bank of Bessemer. The building was constructed at 1801 2nd Avenue North on the southeast corner of the intersection with 18th Street in downtown Bessemer, now the site of the Jefferson County Bessemer Justice Center.
When it opened, the branch office was managed by Lee Moody and F. Y. Vann. It was, at the time, the largest of First National's twelve branches with 6,500 square feet on the main floor, a full basement, and a 1,000 square foot mezzanine overlooking the lobby. It offered sixteen teller windows, a consultation room and conference room. The interior featured terrazzo floors, plastic fabric wall panels and acoustical ceilings with recessed lighting and central air conditioning. Two drive-up windows were located on the east wall, along with a night deposit. It was designed in a contemporary modern style with black granite, Alabama limestone and red brick.
The building was demolished before 2007.