The Galax Theater was built prior to 1920 as a silent movie theater at 1919 2nd Avenue North. It was one of a string of cinemas that opened on that block, including the Strand, the Trianon and the Alcazar.
A fire damaged the theater in February 16, 1945. Owner Acme Theaters undertook a full renovation, carried out by Ralph A. Stallman & Co. contractors. The theater reopened on November 16 with a screening of "Dillinger" starring Edmund Lowe and Anne Jeffreys.
- Criswell, Evans. Historical Information:Alabama:Birmingham at Movie Theatre Information.
- Wells, Russell "Showplaces of the South: Part 3". Birmingham Rewound. - accessed January 16, 2007
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.