The approximately three acres of land where the Garvin Building stands was purchased by the U. S. Postal Service. It was previously the site of Lola Garvin's home and the building was named in her honor. The home was moved to the southeast corner of the intersection prior to construction.
The building was a joint venture of the Postal Service and Morningside Investments, which funded construction. The building was designed by Warren, Knight & Davis and built by Doster Construction. Cox Realty and Development initially managed the building, which included a National Bank of Commerce branch upon opening in 1987.
Moving the Crestline Post Office into the Garvin Building allowed expansion of the branch, previously on Church Street in Crestline Village, and an upgrade to regional status, meaning it began directly handling bulk mail for Irondale and other areas east of Mountain Brook.
- Suite 200: AFT Corp., Albert Thomasson
- Suite 210: The Fitness Center
- Suite 230: L. Darwin Echols, D. M. D.
- Suite 260: Edward Levin, C. P. A.
- Suite 270: Christian Financial Management, James Stewart
- Suite 280: Allstate Insurance
- Suite 300: BSD Foods, doing business as Wendy's
- Suite 320: Jewelry Specialty by Katz
- Suite 330: Mayo Management
- Suite 350: State Farm Insurance
- Suite 360: MacDowell & Associates, Ltd.