Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama
The Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama was chartered on November 1, 2007, as a merger of the Cahaba Girl Scout Council and the North Alabama, Cottaquilla, and Tombigbee Girl Scout Councils. The combined council serves 36 counties in north and central Alabama and is headquartered at the Fehr Fowler Service Center at 105 Heatherbrooke Park Drive off U. S. Highway 280 in Inverness.
Girl Scouting in the North Alabama area began as early as 1917, organized partly by the operators of coal and iron companies in the Birmingham District and Tennessee Valley. Early summer camp activities were coordinated with Camp Winnetaska beginning in 1923. In 1925 a dedicated camp, Camp Gertrude Coleman in Trussville, was purchased and developed with help from the Birmingham Civitan Club.
The area council was first chartered by the Girl Scouts of the United States of America on January 1, 1958. It grew to serve 13,000 girls and 3,500 adults annually. Part of this growth was attributed to concerted efforts to reach out to underserved communities. In 1967 the Cahaba Council pioneered Girl Scouting in public housing communities, building "Scout Houses" for girls to have a safe meeting place in their own neighborhood. The Council also had a long history of working with the children of migrant workers, especially in St Clair County.
 External links
- Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama official website
- "Girl Scouts groups merge, get new chief." (September 28, 2007) Birmingham News.