Gregg Building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The Gregg Building in 1924

The Gregg Building was a three-story, 20,000 square-foot commercial building on Block 74, at 315–319 20th Street North. It was constructed in 1924 for the Augusta Friedman Shop, with space for other tenants.

Miller & Martin designed the 67-foot by 100-foot steel-framed building with a facade of "Oriental" face brick from the Stephenson Shale Brick Co. of Lovick, trimmed with terra-cotta. Charles W. Hall constructed the building for Jemison & Co. Other suppliers and subcontractors included the Alabama Supply Co., Pate Co., Birmingham Paint & Glass Co. and Carmichael Tile Co. The building was furnished with elevators.

The Gregg Building was demolished before construction of the Exchange Security Bank's downtown offices.