Guaranty Federal Savings and Loan

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the firm located on 1st Avenue North. For the firm on 2nd Avenue North, see Guaranty Savings and Loan.

Guaranty Federal Savings and Loan was a savings and loan founded in 1926.

The firm constructed a modern four-story office building at 2030 1st Avenue North in downtown Birmingham in 1960. The building was designed by Charles McCauley & Associates

In 1981 and 1982 the firm acquired Investors Federal Savings And Loan of Montgomery, Troy Federal Savings And Loan, First Federal Savings And Loan of Birmingham and Guaranty Savings And Loan of Mobile.

Guarantee Federal, with assets of $414 million, was placed under the control of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in 1989. Its assets were subsequently acquired by SouthTrust Bank in 1990. Its former offices were renovated in 1995 for New City Church.