Harry Wheelock

From Bhamwiki
(Redirected from Harry B. Wheelock)
Jump to: navigation, search

Harry Burt Wheelock (born February 23, 1866 in Fort Dodge, Iowa; died February 5, 1940 in Birmingham) was a prominent architect, partner with his father in the firm of Wheelock & Wheelock, and also the founder of the Rotary Club of Birmingham.

Wheelock was the son of Charles and Eliza Wheelock. He was educated in San Francisco, California and joined his father's Birmingham-based firm as a partner in 1887.

Wheelock married Louise Oakley Coffin on September 29, 1886 and had one child, Mable, who later married Vernon Gray and moved to Woodstock, Vermont.

In 1915 Wheelock was one of the founders of the Continental Power Company in Birmingham. He designed the 1928 Wheelock Building in Lakeview for his brother's George F. Wheelock Company.

Wheelock died at home after a long illness in 1940. He is buried at Elmwood Cemetery.

References

  • "Charles R. & Harry Wheelock, Architects" typescript (August 3, 1950), in "Architects & Architecture", Vol. 2 of material compiled by Hill Ferguson for the cornerstone vault in Birmingham City Hall

External links