Holman School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Holman School
Holman School rendering.jpg
Active 1928–1980s
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades 1-7
Colors
Mascot
Location 5130 8th Court South, (map)
Birmingham

Minnie Holman Elementary School was a former Birmingham City School located at 5130 8th Court South in the Woodlawn Highlands neighborhood (now Crestwood North). It opened in 1928 and was named for Minnie Holman Phillips, the widow of superintendent John H. Phillips. A memorial plaque was placed at the site on May 23, 1930.

The two-story brick school building was designed by Warren, Knight & Davis in a Jacobethan revival style ornamented with brick diaperwork and carved stone trim.

In the late 1990s the school was demolished. The site was sold in 1993 and currently houses the headquarters of Girls Inc..

Principals

References

  • Shelby, Thomas Mark (2005) An Architectural and Historical Survey of the Woodlawn Highlands Historic District, Birmingham, Alabama. University of Alabama Museums, Office of Archaeological Research

External links