- This article is about the building on 4th Avenue North. For other uses, see Hood-McPherson Furniture.
The six-story, 44,000 square-foot building was designed by Harry Wheelock and built by the Carroll-Blake Construction Company in 1914. The structure is steel and reinforced concrete. The cream-colored terra cotta facade is divided into two triple-window bays with moulded spandrels and a deep cornice. A vertical neon sign is attached to the pier between the bays.
The ground floor was modernized with marble panels and bronze letters as part of a 1964 remodeling. The $250,000 project also provided air conditioning and wall-to-wall interior carpeting.
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- Diel, Stan (January 13, 2011) "Downtown Birmingham's Hood McPherson building on the block." Birmingham News
- Swant, Martin (February 3, 2011) "Birmingham's Hood McPherson building, adjoining property sell at auction." Birmingham News
- Hood-McPherson building on Emporis.com