Hoover Country Club
The Hoover Country Club (formerly the Green Valley Country Club) is a private, member-owned golf and country club located in Hoover near Star Lake. It was founded in 1958 by William Hoover and constructed by Mac's Contracting Company. Patton Creek runs through the club property, and is joined by Camp Branch near its southern end.
The club's 6,819-yard golf course was renovated with new greens in 1987 and is being reworked again with new irrigation ponds in 2010. The clubhouse, lounge and men's locker room were renovated in 2008. Construction of a planned fitness center was cancelled when Jason Cerniglia offered to provide memberships for club members to his Hoover Fitness Center.
The club also has 10 rubico-surfaced tennis courts and two hard courts and a junior Olympic size swimming pool. The club has a pro shop and fully-catered ballrooms, dining rooms and meeting rooms accommodating groups from 8 to 600.
Currently the Hoover Country Club has about 616 members. The general manager is Steve Karmichael. Birmingham News columnist and GolfSouth magazine editor Ian Thompson has been commissioned to write a history of the club.
- Ellaby, Liz (June 24, 2009) "Hoover Country Club spruces up as it marks golden anniversary." Birmingham News
- Hoover Country Club website