Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church Hillman

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church Hillman is a Baptist church located at 4817 Jefferson Avenue Southwest in the Hillman neighborhood of Birmingham's Grasselli community.

The church was organized in 1907 and moved into a small red frame building donated by the Grasselli Chemical Company in 1911. The first pastor was a Reverend Barlow.

In 1926 the congregation built a new house of worship at the church's present location. Following a fire the congregation met in a masonic hall at the corner of Park Avenue Southwest and 50th Street Southwest until the church could be rebuilt under the leadership of pastor Ed Craig, who served for more than 50 years.

Hopewell's red brick building was renovated in the 1960s and an education wing was added in the 1970s. A new 1,500-seat sanctuary was constructed in 1991, and the mortgage was retired just six years later.

Pastors

External links