Indian Springs School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Indian Springs School
Indian Springs School shield.jpg
Established 1952
School type Private
District N/A
Grades 8-12
Director Gareth Vaughan
Enrollment 289 (2007)
Colors red and white
Mascot Springs
Location 190 Woodward Drive
Indian Springs Village
Website www.indiansprings.org

Indian Springs School is an 8th-12th grade boarding and day school at 190 Woodward Drive, at the base of Oak Mountain in Indian Springs Village, Shelby County. As of 2007 the school has 289 students. The school's director is Gareth Vaughan.

History

Indian Springs School was founded in 1952 by Birmingham businessman Harvey G. Woodward, who left the funds and instructions for creating the school in his will at his death in 1930.

Woodward wanted to make the school available to both Alabama's elite and rural poor (though he stipulated that only white male gentiles should be admitted). These restrictions have all been challenged and abolished. He also instructed that the school should champion a holistic approach to learning (the school's motto is "Discere Vivendo'," or "Learning Through Living"). During its first years, students tended to the 350-acre working farm on the property when not in class. Though the farmwork was soon eliminated from the curriculum, the concept of integrated learning remains central to the school's mission.

The first buildings were designed by Warren, Knight & Davis. The school opened with ten staff members and 60 students. The first director of the school was Louis E. Armstrong. He made several changes to Woodward's original plans for the school, most notably reversing Woodward's request that the school not be preparatory. History teacher MacDonald Fleming, still teaching in 2007, was part of the original faculty.

By 1960 the school had 130 students, all aged 9 to 12. Tuition at the time was $2,000 per year for boarding students. That fall, physics teacher Richard Jones won approval to construct a tilting demonstration classroom which he called a "Truth House". In 1963 basketball, volleyball and track coach Ray Woodard introduced the sport of soccer to Alabama with his first team, which had to travel out-of-state to find opponents.

By the 1970s, the school had grown to include equal numbers of day students and boarders. An 8th grade was added, and the school became coeducational in 1975.

Indian Springs School was the first boarding school in the U. S. to be recognized by the Malone Family Foundation, which provided a $2-million grant to underwrite tuition and other expenses for gifted students whose families could not otherwise afford an independent school.

In 2005, Indian Springs School had 274 students from 12 states and 7 countries, 76% of whom were day students and 24% of whom were boarders. There were 136 girls and 138 boys.

Indian Springs School was the inspiration for the novel Looking For Alaska by alumnus John Green.

In 2012 the school's board of governors approved a major overhaul of the campus, to be designed by Lake/Flato of San Antonio, Texas in association with Birmingham's ArchitectureWorks. The first phase of work involved constructing new art studios and classrooms. The Leo Kayser Jr. Academic Center, housing advising offices, a technology center, library and research services, was named in recognition of a $2 million gift from the estate of alumnus and former board member Leo Kayser, Jr.

Directors

Notable faculty

Notable alumni

References

External links