Inglenook K-8 School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Inglenook K-8 School
BCS small logo.png Birmingham City Schools
Years [[]]–present
Location 4120 Inglenook Street, (map)
Inglenook neighborhood
District 4
Grades K-8
Principal Mario Lumzy
Enrollment 382 (2012)
Colors purple & black
Mascot Panthers

Inglenook K-8 School is a K-8 school in the Birmingham City Schools system located at 4120 Inglenook Street in the Inglenook neighborhood.

In the 1940s, Inglenook School served African-American students only, but it was replaced by a white school.

The new two-story brick addition was constructed in 1950 at a cost of $132,303. The work included four new classrooms, an auditorium, expansion of the lunchroom, and replacement of the school's heating plant. In 1953 another addition, completed for $153,000, funded from a special bond issue, replaced the original building and added eight classrooms and a gymnasium. At the community's recommendation, the gymnasium took the place of vocational shops which had originally been planned. A new cafeteria was added in 1960. Funds from a 1965 bond issue provided new fencing around the school property. Another construction project under development in 1969 was allowed to move forward by federal courts because it would allow for the integration of students from the formerly all-Black Dudley School, which was converted into a model kindergarten.

Another addition in 2007 included a new competition gymnasium along with three classrooms and a science lab.