Inverness Country Club
The Inverness Country Club is a private golf course country club located off of Inverness Center Parkway. It was bought in early 2005 by Inverness Holdings, LLC, a partnership of Bill Ochsenhirt and Jonathan Kimerling.
The 6,821 yard course, designed by George W. Cobb, was completed in 1973. The course was renovated under the guidance of Bill Bergin in 2006. Cecil Ingram holds the all-time course record round of 61. Since the redesign, the record round of 68 is held by Mike Greer and Wes Carter.
Inverness' 17,000 square-foot clubhouse, constructed in 1986, was destroyed by fire on June 11, 2007. Hoover police suspect that the fire was intentionally set by a group of young teenagers. One 14-year-old was arrested the day after the fire.
Plans were underway to renovate the existing building, and a long-term plan to replace it with an 8-story condominium tower were under development. The building housed a full-service restaurant and bar as well as offices and meeting and event rooms and locker rooms.
Construction on a new $7 million, 24,000-square-foot clubhouse began on May 20, 2008, with Chambers of Baltimore, Maryland as architect and Rives Construction as contractor for the project. The new clubhouse has a brick and stacked stone exterior, and features a 4,500-square-foot fitness center, an upscale casual restaurant, a tavern, golf shop, meeting rooms and locker rooms. The clubhouse was completed in 2009 and was recognized as the best new clubhouse in Golf Inc. magazine's international competition.
Rives is also contractor for renovation of the current tennis courts. When completed in September 2008, the club will have 15 championship-quality courts.
- "Renovation begins on Inverness Country Club, golf course." (December 1, 2005) Birmingham Business Journal
- Batson, Roger Jr (June 12, 2007) "Fire destroys clubhouse at Inverness Country Club." Birmingham News
- Batson, Roger Jr (June 12, 2007) "Inverness Country Club fire ruled as arson." Birmingham News
- Kent, Dawn (May 20, 2008) "Construction starts on new club house for Inverness Country Club." Birmingham News
- Kent, Dawn (April 12, 2011) "Inverness Country Club clubhouse wins international design competition." Birmingham News