James Harwell residence

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The James Harwell residence (also known as the Harwell-Thompson house) is a two-story, 4,650 square-foot wood-framed house at 5 Glen Iris Park. It was built in 1905-1906 for physician James Harwell to designs by architect S. Scott Joy.

The house is Victorian in form, but includes a Spanish-inspired shaped gable with Moorish-inspired arches on the west-facing front facade of the upper story. The wraparound porch is coated in highly-textured wet-dash stucco, its shallow arches supported on paired columns. The roof is hipped.

The house was sold to R. DuPont Thompson, and then passed to his daughter, Eugenia and her husband, John Akin. Later owners include Emmett Gamel II.

The house is a contributing structure in the Glen Iris Park Historic District, as listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

References

External links