January 27 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2014: Sibyl Temple in Vestavia Hills was first illuminated blue after a traffic fatality.
- 2009: Mayor Larry Langford delivered his State of the City address.
- 1994: Compass Bank acquired First Performance National Bank of Jacksonville, Florida.
- 1974: The original Tutwiler Hotel was imploded.
- 1814: The Battle of Calabee Creek was fought near present-day Tuskegee.
- 1938: Reverend James Naughton was born in the Bronx, New York.
- 1925: Reverend John Cross was born in Arkansas.
- 1924: Organist Ella Jones was born.
- 1921: Developer Marvin Engel was born in Birmingham.
- 1897: Educator Carol Hayes was born in Hopkinsville, Kentucky.
- 2013: Film crewman and producer Henry David DeBardeleben died in Bessemer.
- 2011: Former Crimson Tide All-American and Florida State Athletics Director Vaughn Mancha died in Tallahassee, Florida.
- 1997: Samford University president Leslie Wright died.
- 1941: Artist Roderick MacKenzie died in Mobile.
- 1939: Physician Charles Whelan Jr died.