Jefferson County Courthouse (1847)
The building served until Jefferson County voters passed a referendum to relocate the seat of government to the newly-established City of Birmingham. The new Birmingham courthouse was completed in 1875 and the county property in Elyton was auctioned off. The former courthouse was converted into a paint factory, which was destroyed by fire around 1883.
- Cruikshank, George H. (1920) History of Birmingham and Its Environs: A Narrative Account of Their Historical Progress, Their People, and Their Principal Interests 2 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company. - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections