On April 7, 2001, Hill was beaten to death near his home. He died from injuries sustained from two blows to his head. Teenagers Jeremy Cain (17), Zachary Cain (16), and Mark Harper (17) were convicted as adults of murder and sentenced to 35 years in prison. A fourth teen, Chris Stano, was given youthful offender status and given 5 years probation, because he remained in the vehicle and testified against his friends. Harper and Hill's step son were feuding at the time, and Hill confronted the teens as they drove by his house. That confrontation resulted in the deadly attack.
- "James David 'Jimmy' Hill IV" (obituary) (April 10, 2001) Birmingham News
- Gordon, Robert K. (April 11, 2001) "Slain grocer feared teen attack." Birmingham News
- Gordon, Robert K. (October 27, 2001) "Teen may testify for prosecution in death." Birmingham News
- Gordon, Robert K. (March 9, 2002) "Pleasant Grove murder trial verdict." Birmingham News
- Gordon, Robert K. (August 7, 2002) "Teen guilty in baseball bat killing." Birmingham News