John Coe residence
The John Coe residence is a historic house located at 1108 29th Street South. The "Craftsman-Tudor Revival" style frame house was constructed in 1908 for the family of John Coe, owner of the Birmingham Lumber and Coal Company.
The Coe family sold the property in 1970 and for the next five years it housed the Morningside Commune. In 1977 the house was purchased for use as the Alabama United Methodist Children’s Home. It was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on July 21 of that year.
The house became a private home again following restoration in 1999.
- "Coe House" historical marker, Alabama Historical Commission
- Photo of the Coe residence on Flickr.com