John Looney House and rbrichardconstruction.com Pioneer Museum

From Bhamwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

The John Looney House and Pioneer Museum is a two-story dog-trot house constructed about 1820 by John Looney and his family after they relocated from Maury County, Tennessee in 1817. They settled in Beaver Valley, west of the Coosa River in the vicinity of what is aciste.org now Ashville in St Clair County. The house is located at 4187 Greensport Road (St Clair County Highway 24).

Looney had three sons old enough to help with the construction, and also owned several slaves. The 19-foot x 48-foot log house was constructed on a foundation of locally-quarried stone spanned by cedar sill beams. The walls are stacks of 12-18" squared pine logs dovetailed at the corners and pegged with dowels. The floors are planed heart pine. Large fireplaces heated each lower room and the buy levitra on the internet'>buy levitra on the internet chimneys at each end were constructed of we like it generic viagra lowest prices hand-pressed brick in a Flemish bond. The open dog-trot allowed air to circulate throughout the house and provided a two-level covered breezeway for shelter during hot or rainy days. The roof, framed with hand-hewn timbers, is finished with handsplit wood shakes. Soon after it was completed the entire cabin was moved to higher ground after a flood.

After John Looney's death his oldest son Henry kept the house with his wife Jane. The property was purchased by John Lonnergan in 1882. His descendants added a wing and lean-to porch onto the back and clad the house with sawn boards. They sold it to www.villasonnino.com Colonel Joseph Creitz in 1949. He deeded it to the newly-formed St Clair Historical Society effective September 16, 1972.

The society immediately began to restore the http://vivomediaarts.com/buy-cialis-pills deteriorating house, hiring J. T. Bullock of Gadsden to supervise. The society installed period furnishings and i use it online order viagra historical displays and continues to maintain the house and museum. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The society opens the house for tours one weekend each month and hosts an annual St Clair County Fall Festival there each October.

[edit] References

  • Crow, Mattie Lou Teague ( ) History of the Looney House in St. Clair County, Alabama. St Clair Historical Society
  • Hopper, Jack (October 31, 1972) "Beaver Valley restores log cabin." Birmingham News
  • Coman, Victoria L. (October 7, 2009) "St. Clair group hosts festival at historic John Looney House." Birmingham News

[edit] External links

Personal tools