Lassiter Mountain Dragway

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Lassiter Mountain Dragway is a 1/8-mile asphalt dragstrip located off Coalburg Road in an unincorporated quadrangle of Jefferson County surrounded on all sides by the City of Birmingham. The venue has previously been known as the Lassiter Mountain Dragstrip, Birmingham Dragway and Lassiter Mountain Raceway Park.

The original track was built in 1958 by the Black Widows car club. They cut through the ridge of Lassiter Mountain, leaving deep embankments on either side of the dragway in lieu of guardrails. The owner of the track was Tony Lee. Operators have included David Neatherton and Anthony Brown.

In the mid 1960's while Chrysler was boycotting NASCAR, Richard Petty was a frequent competitor at Lassiter Mountain, driving his Barracuda.

In 2005 Kenny Scott took over operation of the track, which closed in 2006. In 2008 investors Jarred Bostic and Donald Phillips purchased the property and hired Randall Shew to oversee its reopening. The track reopened to racing in June 2010.

Bostic and Phillips' long-range plans call for an RV park, paved go-cart track, miniature golf course, batting cages and an arcade, plus possibly indoor spectator seating.

References

  • Wilson, Dale. (August 8, 2003) "Racing with the Outlaws". Drag Racing Magazine. [1] - accessed May 24, 2006
  • Coman, Victoria L. and Wayne Martin (August 9, 2008) "Lassiter Mountain Dragway in Gardendale to reopen." Birmingham News

External links

Locate with
Google Maps