List of NFL and AFL exhibition games at Legion Field
This is a list of NFL and AFL exhibition games at Legion Field
Legion Field hosted its first National Football League exhibition game when the Chicago Bears visited to take on the Southern All-Stars on September 5, 1938. The Bears won the game 32-18. A total of 15 NFL and AFL exhibition games have been played at the stadium over the years.
Additionally, Legion Field substituted for Fenway Park as home turf for the Boston Patriots' 1968 home opener against the New York Jets. At that time, Birmingham was viewed as a potential relocation city for the Patriots franchise if a new stadium was not constructed in Massachusetts.
- September 5, 1938: The NFL's Chicago Bears defeated the Southern All-Stars 32-18.
- September 11, 1948: The NFL's Green Bay Packers defeated the Washington Redskins 43-0.
- September 10, 1949: The NFL's Chicago Cardinals defeated the Washington Redskins 24-10.
- September 9, 1950: The NFL's Detroit Lions defeated the Chicago Cardinals 24-16.
- September 8, 1951: The NFL's Washington Redskins defeated the New York Giants 14-10.
- August 31, 1957: The NFL's Detroit Lions defeated the Washington Redskins 31-14.
- September 3, 1965: The NFL's Minnesota Vikings defeated the Dallas Cowboys 57-17.
- August 12, 1967: The AFL's Kansas City Chiefs defeated the New York Jets 30-17.
- August 10, 1968: The NFL's Baltimore Colts defeated the Chicago Bears 10-0.
- August 23, 1968: The AFL's New York Jets defeated the NFL's Atlanta Falcons 27-12.
- August 2, 1969: The AFL's Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Oakland Raiders 23-17.
- September 6, 1969: The AFL's Miami Dolphins defeated the Boston Patriots 13-0.
- August 8, 1970: The NFL's New York Jets defeated the Buffalo Bills 33-10.
- August 27, 1988: The NFL's Washington Redskins defeated the Atlanta Falcons 34-17.