List of homicides in 1989
This is a List of homicides in 1989, including all crimes so designated in the Birmingham District.
This list is incomplete and may never satisfy any subjective standard for completeness. You can help Bhamwiki by.
- October 30: Grocer Afton Lee Sr was struck in the head during a robbery of his store and died two hours after he was discovered in a cooler. Theodore Alton "Teddy" Roberts, Jr and Robert "Bobby" Grier were convicted separately in state courts in 1990 and both sentenced to life in prison without parole. (report)
- December 16: Federal judge Robert Vance was killed by a bomb mailed to his home in Mountain Brook. Walter Leroy Moody was convicted in both federal and state courts and is on Alabama's death row.
- May 30: Cynthia Carr, 30, was shot and killed at her home during a domestic dispute between her daughter and former son-in-law. James Larry McLaughlin, Jr, was arrested and charged with murder. He was sentenced to serve 60 years in prison. The conviction was overturned on appeal and he eventually served 20 years before being released in May 2011. In 2015 McLaughlin was arrested for eluding deputies attempting a traffic stop. (report)
- September 21: Samford University debate student Rex Copeland was stabbed to death by his coach, William Slagle following an argument at his apartment at Hunters Pointe in Inverness. Slagle was convicted in 1990 and sentenced to life in prison. 
- 8 homicides
- Reeves, Wendy (January 1, 1996) "First murder of '95 unsolved" Tuscaloosa News